When I took on the task of making a rag quilt for Elliott’s room, I suppose that I didn’t realize that while it’s a simple thing to make, it’s still very much a time-suckage project. I searched the internet for basic directions and thought, “Wow! I can knock one of those out in no time!”
Everyone that blogged about them talked about how wonderfully easy they are, so yeah. Sure. I’ll make one.
Two things I didn’t take into consideration:
1) Most of these people are empty-nesters who no longer have a toddler consuming every waking moment of their day.
2) Most of them make baby quilts. Not twin/full sized ones.
I took on the project. Hours were spent cutting hundreds of squares of all the different fabrics. Hours.
Sewing the pieces together went rather quickly. No complaints there.
Now….the snipping! Oh, the snipping! You see, a rag quilt is sewn with the seam allowances facing the outside. So once you’re done sewing them all together, you take scissors and you begin snipping and snipping…every 1/4″ or so. Not a big deal on a baby quilt. Pretty huge deal on a bedspread.
The snipping alone has cost me about 5 hours of my life and I’m almost halfway done with the process.
Anyway….it’s actually been quite fun and the quilt is turning out beautifully. Her room is done in a shabby-chic-meets-ballerina theme, so I’m very pleased with the fabrics that I chose. I feel like it’s grown-up enough that she can enjoy it throughout her life and not just as a little girl.
I’m anxious to be done with it so that I can get started sewing all the cute spring outfits for her that I’ve got pictured in my head right now!